This took me quite a while to track this down so I decided to post a quick article on it.
Symptom: Getting page cannot be displayed errors when attempting to access a virtual machine’s (VM) console while using Safari, Firefox, or Chrome on a mac. This only applies for people using the VCSA (VMware vCenter Server Appliance) and running version 5.5.
There is an error in the environment variables on the appliance that you need to correct.
- SSH into the VCSA not the hosts.
- Update wrapper.conf which is located at:
using the text editor of your choice (vi or nano) with the following in the environmental variables section:
- Save and close wrapper.conf.
- Restart the vSphere Web Client via:
That should cure what ails ya. I was extremely frustrated while trying to find this, as neither Google nor Bing returned this article without serious poking around, but of course I took to poking around before trying to read through log files.
Hope this saves someone the pain that I went through.
I’ve tested this on OSX Mountain Lion 10.8.5 and OSX Mavericks GM.