Tonight I decided to go on the magical journey of upgrading my ESX 3.5 environment to vSphere using the Host Update Utility. I’m usually a firm believer in ‘If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!’ but this time I decided to take the plunge and see what happens.
A few months ago, I ran through the Host Update Utility and failed a hardware compatibility check. I was running a few Intel Pro/100 NICs that ESX 3.5 was more than happy to work with but vSphere said, NO WAY. After tracking down a few Broadcom 5701 NICs, installing them without a hiccup, I honestly still considered sticking with ESX 3.5, but after talking to a few friends who have had no trouble with their upgrades, I figured the most that I had to lose was a little time. I ran through the wizard again, of the Host Update Utility, it complained about nothing this time and continued.
After a short while, maybe 10 minutes or so, I was up and running on vSphere 4. No hiccups! I immediately started booting up VMs. I ran into my first problem. 🙂