Tag Archives: HTML

Google’s Search for AdSense and MOSS/WSS – CKS:EBE

Since starting this blog, I’ve tried to add features that I thought might be useful.  After experimenting with a few searches, I decided to go with Google’s Search for AdSense.  It seemed to be a pretty useful tool, with advertising harmlessly placed on the side of the search results page, and if someone finds an ad that they are interested in, I’d make a few pennies.

However, with the way MOSS is constructed, with ASPX pages, master pages, and the rendering and server call structure, it was not as easy as some of the other features I put on this site.  The code that Google provides to copy and paste into the page is nested inside a <FORM> tag.  With the way ASPX pages are generated, that would be nesting one <FORM> tag inside another <FORM> tag and that dog just won’t hunt.  After doing quite a bit of head banging, and a ton of searching and experimenting, I was able to come up with some javascript that I thought would post properly.  This worked out just fine in Safari, I didn’t test on Firefox, but failed miserably in IE.  In Safari, the link would redirect properly, but in IE, the page would simply post back to itself, adding the proper querystring variables, the information after the URL that sites sometimes use to determine what you’ve done on a prior page, but failing miserably to deliver the desired result.  As IE is one of the most used browsers on the Internet, this just wasn’t acceptable.  Thus began my search for content on how to do it.  I couldn’t believe I was the only one with the issue.  After some pain, I came up with the solution listed below, and even some javascript to get Google’s branding back into the text box.  I didn’t want to violate any of their terms of use. 😉

The code below is used to replace the <FORM> that Google’s code generator spit out, and behaves properly within SharePoint (sorry, no syntax highlighting or proper formatting, as I haven’t gotten around to that ‘feature’ yet):

Continue reading Google’s Search for AdSense and MOSS/WSS – CKS:EBE

RSS Feed Autodiscovery Tags

rss01

Yesterday when I was working with BlogCatalog, I discovered that my RSS feeds weren’t being autodiscovered.  After doing a little digging, I realized that I was missing a very simple HTML tag.  It’s an easy and common oversight for people running blogs on their own servers, or using their own code.

Just add the following tag to your pages inside the <HEAD> tag, preferably on your master page or template, and you should be golden.

rss01-autodisco-tag


See image above for what I used in my tag.  If you’re running an atom feed, replace rss+xml with rss+atom.

Voila… c’est fini.

Technorati Tags: ,